The 2017 Canadian Swimming Trials kicked off today at Saanich Commonwealth Place in Victoria, BC and already, there has been an array of fast swims from BC swimmers and Canadian swimmers.
Other medalist included Kierra Smith (KWIC) and Sarah Darcel (ISC), who won gold and bronze respectively in the Women’s 200m Breaststroke. Smith finished with a time of 2:24.36, while Darcel touched at 2:27.74, with Smith’s time qualifying her for Budapest. On the men’s side, James Dergousoff (CHENA) raced to a bronze medal finish in the 200m Breastroke in a time of 2:14.66.
Hilary Caldwell (ISC) tied for silver with Dominque Bouchard and slid under the FINA A cut in the Women’s 100m Backstroke. With countries only allowed to qualify two swimmers per individual event at the World Championships, Caldwell got the nod as Canada’s tiebreaker looks to the prelims time, where Caldwell was 12/100th faster than Bouchard.
Thormeyer came back after his 200m Freestyle to nab a silver medal in the Men’s 100m Backstroke in a time of 54.81, followed closely by bronze medallist Rob Hill (CHENA) who went 55.17.
In the last event of the evening, Brooke Lamoureux (ISC) finished 2nd place in the Women’s 1500m Freestyle with a time of 17:02.07, dropping close to 20 seconds off her seed time.
Other A Finalists from the evening include:
- Rafael Davila* (ISC) M800FR 9th 7:58.90
- Tim Woinoski (SFA) M800FR 5th 8:23.77
- Chris Deegan (UVPCS) M800FR 6th 8:24.89
- Ryley Mcrae (KCS) M800FR 7th 8:26.53
- Dmitriy Lim (SFA) M800FR 8th 8:26.61
- Nicolaas Dekker (RAPID) M50FLY 24.81
- Mackenzie Padington (ISC) W200FR 6th 1:59.73
- Stefan Milosevic (UBCDS/HPCVAN) M200FR 5th 1:50.38
- Colin Gilbert (KCS) M200FR 6th 1:50.48
- Faith Knelson (ISC) W200BR 5th 2:29.71
- Jaren LeFranc (KISU) M200BR 7th 2:17.46
- Danielle Hanus (ISC) W100BK 6th 1:01.08
- Tim Zeng (CHENA) M100BK 4th 55.45
- Josh Zakala (ISC) M100BK 8th 57.54
- Chantel Jeffrey (SELKIRKS) W1500FR 5th 17:17.50
- Victoria Mock (UVPCS) W1500FR 8th 17:23.76
Congrats to all swimmers who competed in Day 1 of the 2017 Canadian Swimming Trials. Let’s continue this momentum of great BC and Canadian Swims throughout the weekend!!