Return to Swimming
While the COVID-19 pandemic potentially impacts the health and safety of athletes, coaches, officials, and parents, Swim BC is committed to following all directives from the Provincial Health Officer and Health Canada, including recommendations for prevention and returning to swimming.
In addition to information available from the PHO and Health Canada, below you’ll find links to helpful resources for navigating today’s stormy waters, as well as some suggestions for things you can do to keep your body and mind ready to dive back in when it’s safe.
- viaSport – Return to Sport Guidelines for BC
- Swimming Canada – COVID-19 Resource Hub
- BC Recreation and Parks Association – Guidelines for Restarting Operations
- Lifesaving Society – COVID-19 Updates
- Ministerial Order No. M183 – Protection Against Liability for Sports (COVID-19)
- Swim BC Return to Swimming Guidelines
- Swim BC Return to Competition
- Swim BC Open Water Training Recommendations
Club Grant Program
Given last season’s competitive calendar was cut short, we have made a number of one-time changes to the program. This year’s grant allocations are based on the following distributions, taking into consideration Club Grant eligible performances from 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- 40% ($ 42,000) – based on 2019-20 Grant
- 15% ($ 15,750) – based on 2019-20 BC ID Teams
- 15% ($ 15,750) – based on 2020 Winter BC Provincial Championships
- 15% ($ 15,750) – based 2019-20 International Competitions (Euro 2020 Meet)
- 15% ($ 15,750) – based on 2019-20 National and Provincial Records
Total Club Grant funds for 2020-21 – $105,000
Club Grant funds are not allocated to a specific individual. They are intended to support clubs in continued development toward competitive performance outcomes. Please refer to the Swim BC Club Grant Information document for further details. The list of Club Grant recipients can be found here.
The opportunity to use eligible expenses for COVID stimulated costs (ie/ pool time and coaching salaries) as was permitted after March of last year, will be assessed regularly by Swim BC. Should the opportunity to utilize Club Grant funds for “COVID related expenses” occur, this will be communicated clearly to all programs. Please note that for now, only eligible expenses as per the Club Grant program are acceptable.
The Swim-a-Thon is an in-pool fundraiser where swimmers earn pledges to swim a set number of lengths or participate in a fun and challenging swimming event. Each club can personalize their Swim-a-Thon event to match their club and swimmer needs. All donations are collected online through a personalized website created by Raise-a-Thon, and 90% of the funds earned are distributed back to the clubs.
The 2020-2021 Swim-a-thon Registration is now open! Swim-a-thon events can be hosted anytime between now and May 31, 2021. The campaign is a great fundraising opportunity for all clubs. Included below are links to the Informational Webinar which will provide you with more information on Swim-a-thon and the link to register.
Swim BC provides its membership with the insurance covering Commercial General Liability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and Directors & Officers Liability Insurance. The types of operations insured include meets; training sessions and camps; fundraising events; provincial and national competitions; social events; and club, provincial, and national meetings. Our insurance provides coverage for Swim BC, clubs, their officers, directors, coaches, officials, participants, employees, and volunteers, who are participating in the program.
Here are a few reminders regarding how to fill out the request form:
- Please type into the fillable PDF, save it, and email it to the Club Services Manager.
- Please make sure that you are making the certificate out to the entity (not the swim club) who is requesting your proof of insurance.
- The start date should be the date you make the request; the expiration date should be the expiry date of the policy.
- Please review the contract with the entity requesting the proof of insurance to ensure you include all of the details they request.
Note: Clubs will need to resubmit a request for a copy of the renewed policy effective December 1, of each season. For the dates that the certificate is valid, please use the day you submit the form until the expiry of the insurance policy.
Within 30 days of an accident, mail the original completed form and medical receipts directly to the BFL Claims department. The mailing address is found on the claims form. Please also email a completed copy of the form to Swim BC within 30 days of the accident.
Swim BC offers three options for payment of invoices:
- Interac Email Money Transfer: Please send email money transfers to email@example.com. This email is set up for auto-deposit, and a security question shouldn’t be needed.
- Credit Card: Credit cards are accepted for payments of $300 or less, directly through the Swim BC office.
- Cheque: Mailed directly to the office
Swim BC gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.
305-4420 Chatterton Way
Victoria, BC V8X 5J2