After a neck-and-neck battle through the weekend, and facing a marginal three-point deficit heading into the final night of finals at the 2013 SwimBC SC AAA Age Group Championships, Chena Swim Club claimed the first-ever provincial championship for the North Vancouver-based team.
"We gathered the entire team at the beginning of the year and, as together, made this one of our key objectives for this season", said Head Coach, Patrick Paradis. "I was so proud of the way our team pulled together to achieve this goal, supporting one another, and raising their performances to a new level, especially on the final night."
It was certainly one of the closest races ever for the overall team scoring title, as Hyack finished in second, just 55 points behind. There was also a hotly contested race for third place, as Pacific Sea Wolves finished just 55 points ahead of Prince George Barracudas, while Richmond Rapids were a mere four points in arrears of PGB. The next three teams - Vancouver Pacific Swim Club, Langley Abbotsford Olympians, and UVic-Pacific Coast Swimming, were similarly tightly-packed, with fewer than 30 points separating those three teams.
The record-breaking barrage continued on the final day of competition as well, with new meet records coming from the following swimmers:
- Meredith Levorson (VKSC) - 13yr. girls 400 Free
- Colin Gilbert (KCS) - 14yr. boys 400 Free
- Edwin Zhao (PSW) - 15yr. boys 400 Free
- Lauren Crisp (UVPCS) - 13yr. girls 200 Back
- Jimmy Zhang (WVOSC) - 12yr. boys 200 Back
- Patricia Fortier (PGB) - 15yr. girls 200 Back
- Haley Black (PGB) - 18&U girls 200 Back
- Nicolas Duke (CHENA) - 14yr. boys 200 Back, 200 Fly
- Kevin Ye (RAPID) - 13yr. boys 100 Breast
- Hillary Metcalfe (LAOSC) - 14yr. girls 100 Breast
- Eva Nagy (CDSC) - 15yr. girls 100 Breast
- Harry Duan (WSC) - 14yr. boys 100 Breast
- James Dergousoff (CHENA) - 18&U boys 100 Breast
- Paul Zou (WDSC) - 13yr. boys 200 Fly
In addition to these meet records, the final results and scores in para-events also showed a number of pending Canadian records for para-swimmers, including the following:
- Sarah Mehain (VKSC) - SB7 women 100 Breast
- Nathan Clement (WVOSC) - S6 men 50 Free
- Danielle Kisser (DELTA) - SB6 women 100 Breast