Swim BC, the governing body for competitive swimming in the Province of British Columbia, is now accepting applications for the position of Provincial Coach.
The primary responsibility of this position is to work with club coaches across BC to develop and prepare athletes and coaches in acquiring the skills and tools necessary to qualify for and be successful on Junior National Team initiatives.
The Provincial Coach will also provide enhanced service levels to the existing club and regional programs in BC. The success of this position will, in part, be evaluated by the National prominence and emergence of BC athletes to the International levels.
Due to the nature of the job, extensive work and travel in the field will be required.
The position also includes the following additional roles and responsibilities:
- Developing a comprehensive Provincial curriculum and program that will achieve the performance objectives of the Swim BC Strategic Plan.
- Working closely with the National Team Coach(es) for the optimal delivery of a Provincial philosophy aimed at International excellence.
- Driving overall leadership of the Swim BC Provincial Program including:
- Technical administration and communication for all Provincial activities: camps, tours, monitoring programs, etc.
- Head (or Lead) Coach responsibilities at all Provincial program initiatives
- Regular and effective follow-up and reporting with all Provincial named athletes and their home coaches
- Planning of effective IST support at all Provincial program activities
- Regular communication, mentoring and visitation expectations with club programs through the regional training program model.
- Completing Team BC lead coach duties at Canada Summer Games and the Western Canada Summer Games including all team preparation, administrative servicing and accountability.
- Leading the implementation of the IPS Targeted Sport program, including the achievement of Best Practices and high performance results deliverables as established in the annual IPS review meeting.
- Oversee the Regional Development Coach in delivering Swim BC’s Regional Camps throughout the province
- Communicating effectively and timely with the Regional Development Coach and the BCSCA for optimal vertical integration throughout the swimming continuum; and an overall philosophy of excellence that is supportive of the Swimming Canada Athlete Development Strategy.
- Mentoring responsibilities related to the overall enhancement of coaching development in British Columbia.
- Facilitating the technical delivery and objectives of the over-all Swim BC Strategic Plan.
- Improving and advancing our outreach program in conjunction with the Executive Director and the Regional Development Coach.
The successful applicant will possess the skill set to educate and mentor athletes and coaches, as well as strong communication and team-building skills, and a recognized ability to work in a team environment. A demonstrated and proven record of coaching at the Senior International level will be a considerable asset, as will sport administrative skills (e.g., budgeting, record-keeping, athlete-tracking, etc.).
NCCP Level 3 Certification (or equivalent) is required. If this requirement is not satisfied at the time of hire, the successful candidate will prepare a written plan for completion of the certification requirements. The successful applicant must also be in good standing with the BC Swim Coaches Association, Coaches of Canada and the Canadian Swim Coaches and Teachers Association.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé, by July 28, 2013 to:
Mark J. Schuett
Executive Director, Swim BC
PO Box 1749
Suite 5 – 40383 Tantalus Road
Garibaldi Highlands, BC
We thank all those that apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.