SwimBC athletes, competing on their home turf, as it were, at the Canada Games Pool in New Westminster, represented themselves very well on the first day of competition at the 2014 Speedo Western Canadian Championships.
A record-breaking performance came from Lauren Crisp (UVPCS) who broke the SwimBC 13-14 Girls record in 100 Back en route to winning a bronze medal in the 15&U age category. Her swim broke a record that had stood for over 20 years - all the way back to 1992.
Gold medal performances included Darren Yuan's (SKSC) win in 16&U Boys 50 Fly (which also matched the winning time in the 17&O boys); Edwin Zhao (PSW) who won 200 Free in 16&U Boys; Markus Thormeyer (WDSC) in 16&U Boys 100 Back, posting a time that would've won the 17&O age as well; Jordan Andrusak (UVPCS) in 15&U Girls 200 Breast; and Mariya Chekanovych (DYNA) in 17&O Girls 200 Breast, in her first race on the way back from a knee injury which has kept her sidelined for most of the past year; and Danica Ludlow (ISC) and Edwin Zhao (PSW) each winning the 800 Free for the older age groups.
Silver medalists on Day 1:
- Sarah Darcel (ISC): 50 Fly
- Haley Black (PGB): 50 Fly, 100 Back
- Justin Kiedrzyn (SFU): 50 Fly
- Carson Olafson (SPART): 200 Free
- Hillary Metcalfe (LOSC): 200 Breast
- Harry Duan (WSC): 200 Breast
- David Dimitrov (LLSC): 200 Breast
- Molly Gowans (UVPCS): 800 Free
- Peter Brothers (ISC): 800 Free
Bronze medalists on Day 1:
- Makena Sutherland (KCS): 50 Fly
- Josiah Binnema (PGB): 50 Fly
- Heather Lam (VPSC): 200 Free
- Emily Overholt (WVOSC): 200 Free
- Darian Fry (PSW): 100 Back
- Benjamin Blackmon (CONNU): 200 Breast
- Megan Dalke (KCS): 800 Free
- Victoria Mock (UVPCS): 800 Free
- Tim Woinoski (SFA): 800 Free
- Josh Zakala (KAJ): 800 Free
- Island Swimming: Women 4x100 Free Relay
- Winskill Dolphins: Men 4x100 Free Relay
In women's team standings after the first day, UVPCS sits second, ISC fourth, and PGB 7th, while over on the men's side, SwimBC clubs occupy six of the Top10 positions: PSW (4th), WDSC (5th), ISC (7th), SFU (8th), SFA (9th), VPSC and KCS (tied for 10th).
In the race for the combined team scoring title, ISC is 4th, UVPCS 5th, PSW 7th, WDSC 8th, SFU 9th and PGB 10th.