Back to Touchpad
BC Government Restart Plan – Its Impact on Swimming And What We Know So Far
May 26, 2021
As I’m sure you’re aware, BC received some very good news yesterday as the Provincial Government announced a 4-step plan focused on safely getting life in BC back to normal – BC’S RESTART: A PLAN TO BRING US BACK TOGETHER.
Club Boards, coaches, parents, and swimmers are likely wondering how this will impact your swimming world immediately, and into the near future. After yesterday’s announcements by Premier Horgan and Dr. Henry, viaSport called a meeting for all sports to relate what they were aware of, and what their next steps look like. Here’s what we know:
- Between May 26 and June 14 there is NO change to the way we’ve been conducting our sport INDOORS.
- Effective immediately outdoor sport can remove physical distancing requirements and conduct training as normal. For swimming, this means full, “normal” practices can occur in outdoor pools. This is within your club only, no club collaboration. There is no cohort limitation.
- Time trials can be held in outdoor pools, with no spectators. If you have access to an outdoor pool, you can host a sanctioned time-trial with minimal officials and no spectators. Again, this is for in-club activity only, no external clubs.
- Adult sport (Masters) is permitted to train outdoors, as described above. There is no change for indoor-pool training, it is limited to two persons maximum; 3m physical distancing; individuals 22 years of age and over.
- Travel is permitted within the current ‘merged’ health region only. CSI-Pacific / Swim BC designated High Performance swimmers are permitted to train and compete within their current ‘merged’ health region. Swimming Canada carded swimmers are permitted to travel for competition and training throughout the province – they are considered “employed” and are permitted to travel for work.
- Indoor masks requirements have not changed
- Earliest start date June 15 pending case counts, hospitalization, and vaccination rates.
- Current information suggests a progressive return to standard training for both youth sport and adult sport (Masters)
- We expect viaSport will release guidance in the next week or so on how we will be able to progress indoor training opportunities and begin to sanction intra-club time trials again.
- Earliest start date July 1 pending case counts, hospitalization, and vaccination rates.
- According to information currently available, we anticipate a return to inter-club competition with limited spectators.
- Earliest start date September 7 pending case counts, hospitalization, and vaccination rates.
- According to information currently available, we anticipate a return to normal competition with updated COVID Safety Plans in place.
- Swim BC is now anticipating we will be able to host an in-person BC Swimming Congress Sept 30, Oct 1, 2 in Whistler. The Congress will feature the Team Aquatic Supplies BC Swim Coaches Conference; Club Development Series; Officials Symposium; Swim BC Hall of Fame and Awards Banquet; and the Swim BC AGM. Clearly a lot must happen between now and then, we will keep the membership updated regularly.