From Janet Dunn
Swimming Canada Para-Swimming Development Coach
SwimBC Para-Swimming Technical Advisor
The selection meet for determining Para-swimmers for the 2015 Western Canada Summer Games (WCSG) team will be the 2015 SwimBC Short Course AAA Championships, held March 5-7, in Surrey, BC.
One of the criteria for a para-swimmer to attend WCSG is that they have a national level classification. Generally this happens when a swimmer first attends Can Ams; however in the years of WGSC and Canada Summer Games, we need to ensure that all para-swimmer have the opportunity for selection to these events.
Swim BC and Swimming Canada are holding national classification at 2015 SC AAA Championships.
Classification will be:
- March 4 at North Surrey Pool (10275 City Parkway, Surrey, BC) between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm.
- It will take approximately 45 mins per swimmer.
- The swimmer must have someone accompany them (coach ideal)*.
- The third component observation in competition would be done at the meet.
All three component of the classification process must be competed for a swimmer to be granted a National level classification.
* At the national level for classification it recommended that it be a coach present (it would be required at Can Ams).The swimmer’s coach or a club coach is my first choice. There is a lot of valuable information learned when watching the swimmer do the testing and as a LTAD marker the swimmer is moving up in our sport so the role of a parent is also changing. I do understand given travel arrangements and sizes of teams, I can be flexible about who is with the swimmer.They however cannot come alone.
In the classification process we need to evaluate the “S” stokes (free, fly back) and the SB (breaststroke). Please ensure that your swimmer is in at least one S stroke event and in the SB event at SC AAA Championships
Let contact Janet Dunn if you have any questions.