The first day of competition at the 2012 Team Aquatic Supplies SwimBC AAA Long Course Championships got underway Thursday morning at Watermania in Richmond, BC. The host Richmond Rapids Swim Club has done a great job getting the facility ready for the meet, and with a nice assist from the best weather so far this year, the meet promises to be an outstanding event.
With the lead in overall team scoring changing hands with almost every event, it was Hyack Swim Club out of the Tri-Cities who held the lead at the end of Day 1; as mentioned previously, it is extremely tight in terms of team scoring, however, with Hyack holding a 60-point lead over second place; fewer than 20 points, however, separate the rest of the Top5, and with 50 points scored for a win, the race for the team title promises to be close through the duration of the meet.
Top 10 Team Scores at the end of the first day:
- Hyack Swim Club- 605
- Richmond Rapids - 542
- Pacific Sea Wolves - 538
- Chena - 529.50
- Vancouver Pacific - 524
- Island Swimming - 495.50
- Langley/Abbotsford Olympians - 408
- Canadian Dolphins - 376
- Kamloops Classics Swimming - 346
- Prince George Barracudas - 318
The pool at Watermania is proving to be fast for the swimmers as well, with meet records being broken, or at least tied, in almost a third of the events on opening day. New meet records came from the following:
- Imani Theodore (CDSC) - 12yr. Girls 800 Free - 9:47.42
- Austin Phillips (KCS) - 11yr. Boys 1500 Free - 19:09.45
- Tai Long Singh (WDSC) - 12yr. Boys 200 Free - 2:11.22
- Danica Ludlow (PGB) - 15yr. Girls 200 Free - 2:05.96
- Ethan Laing (HYACK) - 11yr. Boys 200 Breast - 2:48.07
- Harry Duan (WSC) - 14yr. Boys 200 Breast - 2:30.55
- Mackenzie Branham (VPSC) - 15yr. Boys 200 Breast - 2:32.67
- Wendy Yang (HYACK) - 13yr. Girls 100 Fly - 1:05.84 (ties existing record)
- Raben Dommann (CHENA) - 11yr. Boys 100 Fly - 1:11.74
- Colin Gilbert (KCS) - 13yr. Boys 100 Fly - 1:01.74
- Emily Overholt (WVOSC) - 14yr. Girls 100 Fly - 1:02.98
- David Dmitrov (LLSC) - 16&O Boys 100 Fly - 56.31
- RAC 12&U Girls 4x50 Free Relay - 2:01.45
- VPSC 14&U Girls 4x50 Free Relay - 1:53.44
Competition continues through the weekend with prelims getting underway at 8:30am, while finals go each evening at 5:30pm (one hour earlier on Sunday).
Complete online results available here.